Latest Telepresence and Visual Collaboration News:
AT&T AND POLYCOM TO ADVANCE INNOVATIVE VIDEO CAPABILITIES
DALLAS and San Jose, Calif, January 15, 2013 - As organizations of all types look to accelerate the adoption of video-based communications and video-enabled business processes, AT&T and Polycom, Inc., (Nasdaq: PLCM) announced today a strategic agreement to personalize, mobilize and virtualize video meetings.
Enabled by the industry-leading AT&T Business Exchange, MPLS, Internet and mobility networks and the Polycom RealPresence Platform, the agreement will create greater availability of cloud-delivered video communication capabilities - giving customers unmatched choice in when, how, and where they collaborate. The Polycom RealPresence Platform is a comprehensive software infrastructure for universal video, on-premises or in the cloud collaboration, interoperating with the broadest set of applications, devices and network protocols.
"AT&T and Polycom's announcement is a big win for customer choice and interoperability, and it will help accelerate video collaboration as businesses increasingly look to cloud-delivered options," said Zeus Kerravala, Principle Analyst, ZKResearch. "In addition, this agreement opens new revenue streams and business opportunities for AT&T, and demonstrates the momentum Polycom is having with service providers and in the video cloud market."
"In the Pervasive Video Era of 2013, people want instant access to others, no matter what device or service they are using," said Jim Lundy, CEO, Lead Analyst, Aragon Research. "The alliance between Polycom and AT&T will help to accelerate the shift to pervasive, cloud enabled video."
The first wave of capabilities include:
- AT&T and the Polycom RealPresence Platform - AT&T will incorporate the highly interoperable Polycom RealPresence Platform as part of the AT&T Telepresence Solution video infrastructurein the AT&T Business Exchange. This will lead to:
- New on-demand virtual meeting room capabilities that increase customer choice through expanded interoperability.
- Flexible and easy-to-use video collaboration experiences that deliver a lower total cost of ownership.
- New forms of collaboration with business customers, partners and suppliers on the AT&T Business Exchange.
- Fully Managed Service Bundles - AT&T Telepresence Solution customers will now have access to a range of Polycom RealPresence video solutions offered in 40 countries - including immersive and multipurpose rooms, and personal systems - as part of a managed service bundle. This approach helps customers reduce their capital expenditures by providing the video equipment as part of the managed service for a monthly fee, while also helping to reduce the burden on internal IT resources, leaving customers more time to focus on business-critical activities.
- VPN Services - Polycom has selected AT&T to become its preferred internal wide area network service provider utilizing the industry leading MPLS AT&T VPN service. The network will carry Polycom video, voice and data communications including access to the AT&T Business Exchange to and from over 80 locations around the globe including Polycom Customer Experience and Briefing Centers.
"Together with AT&T, we are reshaping and expanding the capabilities of cloud-delivered video communications, making it easier for businesses to connect and collaborate with each other," said Andy Miller, President and CEO of Polycom. "With Polycom's commitment to openness, standards and interoperability, and AT&T's commitment to networks, applications and interconnectivity, we're creating video solutions for customers that are as simple, reliable and as universal as dial tone so they can collaborate without worrying about vendor, device or network-specific restrictions. It just works."
"Our goal is to lead the innovation curve by introducing solutions and services that make communications easier, anytime, anywhere, on any device," said Michael Bowling, Chief Marketing Officer, AT&T Business Solutions. "The work between AT&T and Polycom will bring customers new capabilities, help expand their reach and use of video collaboration and ultimately deliver lasting impacts by transforming how they get work done."
Both companies are board-level founders of the Open Visual Communications Consortium, an industry body whose mission is to develop and support a ubiquitous video marketplace.
For more information on AT&T Telepresence Solution visit http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=2820.
For more information on Polycom RealPresence video solutions visit http://www.polycom.com/products-services.html.
Add New Comment
Telepresence Options welcomes your comments! You may comment using your name and email (which will not be displayed), or you may connect with your Twitter, Facebook, Google+, or DISQUS account.
See what happens when YouTube and TPO come together at the Telepresence Options YouTube Channel.