Latest Telepresence and Visual Collaboration News:
Polycom's New Suite of Open APIs Aid Development of Custom Applications
July 19, 2012 | William Zimmerman
18th July 2012
Polycom, Inc. has launched a rich new suite of open APIs that facilitate the development of custom applications. Polycom also announced new enhancements to its UC software platform including the new Polycom(R) RealPresence(R) Resource Manager and support for Acme Packet Net-Net session border controllers that improve the scalability, manageability, and secure delivery of video collaboration across organizations.
Polycom is providing independent software vendors (ISVs), channel partners, customers, and service providers with open APIs and software development kits (SDKs) to test, create, and ultimately deliver new software applications and solutions that integrate with the RealPresence Platform and provide added value to a video collaboration environment. Aimed at making video collaboration easier to integrate into everyday business processes, the suite of APIs allows developers within enterprises and organizations to tailor applications to seamlessly integrate with Polycom RealPresence video solutions such as provisioning, scheduling, conference management, billing, and resource reporting.
Specific examples of applications leveraging Polycom APIs and extending the value of the Polycom platform include:
- myVRM, an ISV that specializes in Web-based multi-level scheduling solutions, developed a new application using Polycom APIs that makes it easier for customers to schedule videoconferencing meetings. The application allows meetings to be scheduled from one centralized calendar using a personal information manager interface, a Web interface, or through iOS or Android integration. "With the new Polycom open APIs, we were able to easily develop a video scheduling application that further extends the usage and benefits of video collaboration across any industry," Larry Roher, CEO of myVRM. "Our application enables businesses to be more efficient when it comes to scheduling videoconferencing meetings, which helps to drive adoption and a higher ROI."
- A leading Polycom education customer is currently developing applications to integrate video network monitoring into their monitoring system to view everything on one console, as well as a "bill back" application for the 10 colleges that use video collaboration services to create a pay-as-you-use video collaboration model.
- ISV partner ProtonMedia, a leading 3D virtual collaboration provider for the enterprise, is integrating Polycom video into its ProtoSphere platform, which allows users to participate in virtual collaboration rooms using an avatar and live video streams. "ProtonMedia decided to partner with Polycom because they offered the best-of-breed video collaboration solution and the most open developer ecosystem in which we could engage," said Ron Burns, CEO, ProtonMedia.
- With API support, companies can create applications that securely deliver advanced conference control features for users, such as conference start and stop, mute, and record.
- Polycom customers have expressed interest in creating a custom virtual meeting room application for Video-as-a-Service offerings, as well as directory applications that connect multiple directory platforms.
- Vertical market segments - including healthcare, education, government, manufacturing, and finance - can benefit from new custom applications that integrate directly with Polycom's UC platform. For example, in a hospital environment, a custom application could alert network administrators when a trauma video call is initiated, ensuring that on-demand, white-glove service support is available at the time needed most.
ISVs and enterprise customers can obtain the new APIs and SDKs at developer.polycom.com, where they can also create and/or test custom solutions in a "digital sandbox" and participate in various industry discussion forums with other developers. Polycom is also introducing new professional services to support this program, including consulting support for existing customer IT resources, API software development, and full custom API software development for a specific project.
Increased Manageability and Scalability of Video Collaboration Networks
Another enhancement to the RealPresence Platform announced is the new Polycom RealPresence Resource Manager, a new scheduling, management, and provisioning solution that significantly increases the scalability of the platform by 100 percent to allow a single RealPresence Resource Manager to support up to 10,000 devices including room and immersive systems, tablets, smartphones, laptops, and executive video desktops. The RealPresence Resource Manager also makes it easier for IT administrators to manage their organization's video collaboration network, including provisioning new devices to the network and monitoring video collaboration usage across the organization to ensure a reliable high-quality experience for the end user. In addition, RealPresence Resource Manager makes it easier to schedule and manage video collaboration calls.
The documentation for the open APIs on developer.polycom.com will be available in late July 2012 and the Polycom Resource Manager with multi-tenancy support will be available August 2012. The interoperability with Acme Packet Net-Net session border controllers is available today.
Add New Comment
Telepresence Options welcomes your comments! You may comment using your name and email (which will not be displayed), or you may connect with your Twitter, Facebook, Google+, or DISQUS account.
20 March 2017 20 March 2017 17 March 2017
22 February 2017 2 February 2017 17 January 2017
See what happens when YouTube and TPO come together at the Telepresence Options YouTube Channel.