Latest Telepresence and Visual Collaboration News:
Cisco and Siriraj Piyamaharajkarun Hospital Collaborate on Thailand's Hospital of the Future
September 30, 2011 | Hogan Keyser
Medical technology is a constantly evolving industry, and for SiPH, the most important requirement, to realize their vision of becoming Thailand's Hospital of the Future, was to have a network that was robust, extremely reliable, provided high capacity, and is pervasive and scalable.
- At SiPH, the core network will be enabled by the Cisco Borderless Network Architecture, powered by the Cisco Nexus(R) 7000 Series Switches, Cisco Nexus 2000 Series Fabric Extenders, and Cisco Catalyst(R) 2960 Series switches. The powerful combination of Cisco Nexus switches and fabric extenders will deliver scalable, high-density server connectivity while the Cisco Catalyst 2960 enables applications that utilize IP (Internet Protocol) telephony, wireless and video.
- According to a survey commissioned by the Cisco Internet Business Solutions Group (IBSG) and conducted by Princeton Survey Research Associates International (PSRAI), healthcare professionals revealed that collaboration and information-sharing among health professionals have the greatest near-term potential for facilitating large-scale health sector innovation.
- In the same survey, results showed that technologies that combine data exchange with people-to-people interactions help enable easy, efficient communications.
- 65 percent of the respondents believed there was high potential for collaboration via information and communications technology to diagnose and treat patients.
- 65 percent of respondents also believed there was high potential for electronically sharing or accessing diagnostic images, video or patient biometric data.
- 64 percent think there is a high potential for using ICT (Information and Communication Technologies) to provide clinical training and references.
- Collaboration technologies that will be implemented at SiPH include Cisco Unified IP Phones and Cisco Unified CallManager, which will help the university hospital improve the quality of its teamwork and increase productivity.
- Capitalizing on the power of video, SiPH will deploy Cisco TelePresence(R) solutions to provide primary consultation as well as collaboration with primary and secondary care hospitals all over Thailand and abroad.
- Beyond healthcare, SiPH will also implement Cisco Digital Media Suite solutions throughout the hospital, using high-quality video and dynamic content to provide increased touch-points for visitors as the screens broadcast health education and self-service information as well as waiting times for out-patients.
- For wireless access, Cisco Wi-Fi access points will be deployed throughout the hospital with built-in Cisco CleanAir(TM) technology, which automatically adjusts and optimizes wireless coverage.
- With hospitals not spared from the influx of consumer devices in the workplace, SiPH will implement the Cisco Wireless Control System to automatically monitor unauthorized access and centrally configure and manage the entire wireless environment. User domains will be segmented to separate different types of traffic and secure clinical-data. The SiPH network will be secured with the Cisco ASA 5585 Adaptive Security Appliance along with Cisco Intrusion Prevention System Appliances (IPS 5G).
- Because SiPH is a teaching hospital, medical students will have ubiquitous access to their curricula and professors through Cisco Show and Share(R), a webcasting and video sharing application that provides a highly secure platform for communities to share ideas through video.
- The innovations and solutions that will be implemented at SiPH will allow healthcare providers to be more productive and efficient, with a direct impact on the number of lives saved. Doctors will be able to utilize these solutions for remote consultations with subject matter experts while patients will have access to services like news, entertainment, information and dining options by their bed-side, extending the care and efficiency provided by the hospital.
- Dr. Viroje Chongkolwatana, deputy dean of IT, Siriraj Piyamaharajkarun Hospital
Dr. Tatchapol Poshyanonda, managing director for Cisco in Thailand
"For a hospital like SiPH, the network is the foundation for everything they do, as they work with information that is image- and video-intensive and needs to be kept secure. The most important thing for them as healthcare providers is to be able to access information anytime, anywhere and on any device so they can treat their patients. We are excited to work with SiPH's strategic vision for a Hospital of the Future as we, together, develop the healthcare industry in Thailand to meet international standards."
Cisco is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com . For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com. Cisco products are supplied in Thailand by Cisco Systems International, BV, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cisco Systems, Inc.
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks . Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
Add New Comment
Telepresence Options welcomes your comments! You may comment using your name and email (which will not be displayed), or you may connect with your Twitter, Facebook, Google+, or DISQUS account.
24 March 2017 20 March 2017 20 March 2017
24 March 2017
Yorktel to Unveil Advancements to Univago Video Collaboration Service Platform; SVP of Professional Services to Speak on Panel, "Why UC Security Assessments are Vital for Your Enterprise"24 March 2017
Collaboration Squared introduces new Ubiety video conferencing enterprise licensing with unlimited users, unlimited meeting spaces and unlimited global phone conferencing24 March 2017
22 February 2017 2 February 2017 17 January 2017
See what happens when YouTube and TPO come together at the Telepresence Options YouTube Channel.